Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Hyacinth Girl Ripping It Up

Everybody's blog favorite, April Gavaza, has long been known to write intelligent, witty, thought provoking pieces. She recently had the rare double, knocking out two killer posts that had NRO types sitting up and grabbing links.

The first was Unenforcible, which described her heart break over the loss of the Arizona she knew growing up.
"All the way to Phoenix, I was angry. Not at the sheriff, who was overworked, understaffed and underfunded, or the Border Patrol that experiences the same problems, but at these open borders idiots who live north of the 33rd parallel and have had no exposure to the reality of life on the border. Even libtards that live in the border areas have very little understanding of just what their idealism has created. "

The second wondered where we were going as a culture, when feminists crow over non-issues while real threats to the freedom and health of women were being pushed forward by backward Islamists like Australian cleric Feiz Muhammad.
"Women’s rights leaders crowed about the demise of the sexually oppressive Victorian theocracy, a ’50′s era repression defeated by the likes of the sexually liberated Madonna and her clones. We could go out naked, drunk, and alone and not be at fault for the tragedies that befell us.

I can’t say that I’m totally on board with all of that, because I believe in personal responsibility, but I’m favorably disposed toward the idea that rape is not the fault of the victim."

You know you want to go read em.

Go on, get out of here!

7 comments:

  1. ""Women’s rights leaders crowed about the demise of the sexually oppressive Victorian theocracy, a ’50′s era repression defeated by the likes of the sexually liberated Madonna and her clones. We could go out naked, drunk, and alone and not be at fault for the tragedies that befell us.
    .
    I can’t say that I’m totally on board with all of that, because I believe in personal responsibility, but I’m favorably disposed toward the idea that rape is not the fault of the victim."
    "

    And yet, there is a vast difference between saying "Your behavior significantly increases the odds that you will be raped" and saying "It is your fault (and no one else’s) that you were raped" -- and the eliding of that distinction is yet one more of the bitter and poisonous fruits of feminism.


    If some damned-fool woman willfully engages -- for, has not feminism taught her that, being a woman, there are no, and must be no, consequences (for her, at any rate) to *anything* she chooses to do -- in certain behaviors (for instance: getting drunk in the presence of men she doesn’t even know; being out alone at night wearing next to nothing), then it *is* her fault if she gets raped of murdered … and the false accusation that I am “blaming the victim” does not un-rape or un-murder her.

    If some damned-fool woman takes it into her head to balance on the balcony railing in her stiletto heels, then it *is* her fault that she falls and kills herself .. and the false accusation that I am “blaming the victim” does not un-break her neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perpetrator of the crime is the person whose behavior needs the greatest inspection. We may make poor choices, or fail to read the character of the people we are associating with, but that does not relieve them of the responsibility of the crimes they commit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And before we have the knock down bare-knuckles championship, have you seen how April updated her About Me page?

    "She is 5’8″, 33 years old. She has green eyes. She is a certified CrossFit trainer. This is not the best picture of her, but she is impatient and impulsive."

    'This is not the best picture of her'

    She is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The perpetrator of the crime is the person whose behavior needs the greatest inspection. We may make poor choices, or fail to read the character of the people we are associating with, but that does not relieve them of the responsibility of the crimes they commit."

    I'm certain I didn't say otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicholas,
    I make a conscious effort to speak/write precisely and to say precisely what I mean. (I *could* explicitly add the caveat that, of course, I realize I may not always meet the goal ... but the caveat is already contained in the first sentence.)

    Sometimes, I have to wonder, what’s the point of taking all this care to compose my thoughts when almost no one is taking the care to *read* what I wrote (and to read no more and no less than I wrote).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it is the nature of language to be misunderstood or partially understood. I appreciate that you take great pains to be precise. You always have. I might say that my statement may have clarified what you were saying. I certainly agreed with your last paragraph without equivocation. The second to the last paragraph seemed to blur the edges. So as it appears that I misunderstood you, I apologize. It seems we are in agreement. Very good then.

    ReplyDelete